- To contribute to sustainable development and environmental mitigation.
- To further my professional focus on environmental policy and communication.
- To work in a professional role in an organisation with colleagues who share my passion for environmental sustainability.
Research and Analysis
Reporting and Briefing
Goal driven, Hardworking
Respectful, Open minded, Adaptable
Self directed, Responsible
Analytical, Attention to detail
Environmental Research and Market Analysis
Advanced Ecology Ltd Houston, USA (Aug 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Integrate policy, planning and regulatory/legislative conditions into strategy implementation and development of environmental mitigation projects.
- Provide research and analysis on market trends and risk for strategic planning in rapidly growing urban planning region.
- Represent company professionally, and in stakeholder engagement
Journalism – Environmental Sustainability
Ecosystem Marketplace and Speciesbanking.com International (2010 – 2013)
- Specializing in International Environmental Offsetting and USA Mitigation Markets.
- Publications include: ‘State of The Mitigation Markets report (2011)’ and “The Texas Conservation Plan” and “The Rise of Candidate Species.” Reprints from, & in, NMBA Quarterly and National Wetlands Newsletter 2013.
- Conference representation including NMBEC annual conference (2013) and the Australia’s National Environmental Law Association (2010)
Environmental Research and Market Analysis
Mitigation Solutions MSUSA, Houston, USA (Aug 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Market analysis and data reporting to support marketing and communications director
- Research, investigation and technical advice on new and emerging markets, including policy developments.
Research Assistant Scholarship
University of Canterbury & Landcare Research (NZ),
Lincoln, NZ (Nov 2008 – March 2009)
- Field research on carbon sequestration of plantation species, for climate change mitigation applications (Marsden-funded international collaboration with the Macaulay Institute, Aberdeen).
Project Manager and Business Administrator
Francis Ward Ltd Christchurch, NZ (2013 – 2014)
- Project Management of property demolitions within statutory, environmental, and company regulations and to programme timelines.
- Business Administration of emerging entrepreneurial business
- Development of business systems and policies for accounting, health and safety, marketing, and project control.
MWH Earthquake Reinstatement Program (2012 – 2013)
- Project management of property demolitions within statutory, environmental, and company regulations and to programme timelines.
Masters of Forestry Science (Ms. For. Sci.) 1st Class Honors NZ School of Forestry, May 2012. University of Canterbury, New Zealand
BSc. Bachelor of Science, Biology (ecology and conservation) 2008. University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- New Zealand Freemason Academic Award (University Scholarship) (2009)
- Resource Management Law Association Scholarship (2009)
- Pukehou Poutu Scholarship (2009)
- Invitation to join Golden Key International Honors Society (2007, 2008, 2009)
- Pilgrim Prize (2006)
US FWS Conservation Banking Training Program
2012 Instructor, Industry Representative
- National Training, Presenter: Background and Status: New Zealand and NSW, Australia.
US National Mitigation Banking Association Conference (2010 – 2013)
2012 Moderator Session 5: Emerging Markets (Japan, Canada, Ohio USA
2011 Paper Emerging Markets: the International Scene. With W. White and R. Gardner.
– New Data Shows Mitigation Banks Can Speed Approval Process
May 13, 2013
– NMEBC Video Blog The Roles of NGOs and Mit Bankers
Will McDow and Timothy Male: The Complementary Roles of NGOs and Mitigation Bankers
May 8, 2013
– What To Watch For At The 2013 National Mitigation & Ecosystem Banking Conference
May 6, 2013
– The Rise of Candidate Species: Good News For Conservation Banking?
July 11, 2012
– The Texas Conservation Plan: The Good, The Bad and the Lizard
June 18, 2012
– Roundtable Hopes Inclusiveness Will Lead to Cohesion in New Zealand and Australia
April 27, 2010
2011 Update. State of Biodiversity Markets. Offset and Compensation Programs Worldwide. Australia and New Zealand
Editor: Becca Madsen, Ecosystem Marketplace, June 27, 2011
What’s Next for the Mitigation Banking Industry?
March 18, 2013
National Wetlands Newsletter
Stacking and Unstacking: The Economics, the Conservation, and the Conversation
May 1, 2013
Vol. 35, Issue 2, 2013, P. 6
March 12, 2013
NSW Biobanking Review: The Method And The Market
September 19, 2012
OFFSET BANKING IN NEW ZEALAND: TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, WITH INSIGHT FROM INTERNATIONAL MODELS
Thesis under the University of Canterbury, New Zealand
June 25, 2011